SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civil European rescue association founded in 2015. Facing the humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity in the Mediterranean on the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to rescue persons in distress at sea, to protect and assist them, as well as to testify about the realities and many faces of migration.
Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland) sharing the same mandate. Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out since February 2016 in the Central Mediterranean off the Libyan coasts with the chartered ships Aquarius and Ocean Viking. To date over 35.000 people have been rescued by SOS MEDITERRANEE.
SOS MEDITERRANEE is recruiting an audiovisual Communication Officer for its department of Operations. Based in Marseille, France, the audiovisual Communication Officer contributes to archiving and sharing the audiovisual content of the operations, as well as editing audiovisual content from the ongoing operations (videos, sounds, cover images) for the communication of the SOS MEDITERRANEE Operations department and the SOS MEDITERRANEE network (French, Swiss, German and Italian national associations), in a challenging, highly sensitive and quick evolving European environment.
Roles and responsibilities
According to the priorities defined by the Operations Communications Manager and with the overall strategy of the operations, the Operations audiovisual communication Officer is responsible for various communication aspects of the SAR mission in the Central Mediterranean: editing content of the current operations, archiving and sharing the audiovisual content of the operations. He/she also supports the photographer on board and ensures the follow up of the audiovisual technical equipment on board the ship. He/she participates in the development of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s communication framework.
- Is the technical focal point on shore for the photographer on board
- Is in charge of the technical audiovisual communication equipment on board
- Oversees the collection of consent from survivors for audiovisual material collected on board and archives properly on shore
- Receives, archives, selects and shares audiovisual material and consent forms during the mission
- Edits b-roll for external media outlets
- Edits operations-related short video for external and internal communication
- Is the technical audiovisual focal point (for SOS MEDITERRANEE national associations and the operations department): advises & supports on audiovisual technics and productions
- Is responsible for the administration and management of the internal media library of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Creates and edits audiovisual material (video, podcast audio, Graphic design etc.) for SOS MEDITERRANEE’s internal and external use: training platform, school awareness, other communication support
- Archives historical audiovisual material SOS MEDITERRANEE’s image base (photos and videos)
- Manages the audiovisual trainee (recruitment, follow-up, appraisal)
- Performs other duties as assigned