SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civil European rescue association founded in 2015. Facing the humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity in the Mediterranean on the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to rescue persons in distress at sea, to protect and assist them, as well as to testify about the realities and many faces of migration.
Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland) sharing the same mandate. Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out since February 2016 in the Central Mediterranean off the Libyan coasts with the chartered ships Aquarius and Ocean Viking. To date over 35.000 people have been rescued by SOS MEDITERRANEE.
SOS MEDITERRANEE is recruiting a Logistics Officer for its department of Operations. The Logistics Officer is part of the SOS MEDITERRANEE team on board the rescue vessel Ocean Viking. S/he is responsible for SOS MEDITERRANEE’s logistics needs on board. S/he also works in the Operations Headquarters, in Marseille, France.
The Logistics Officer will rotate missions at sea with two other Logistics Officer counterparts. S/he will alternate missions at sea, compensation time-off and onshore work in the Operations department in HQ in Marseille, France.
Roles and responsibilities on board
- Is leading implementation of activities on deck related to survivors. Is planning, organizing and implementing a wide range of activities onboard with the support of other team members (registration, food & NFI distribution, cleaning, deck watch, entertainment…)
- Is training the team onboard on post-recue activities
- Follows-up the Food and NFI logistical resources stock onboard to carry out post-rescue activities (supplies, maintenance, etc.).
- Is in charge of the supply facilitation:
- Updates the food and NFI inventory
- Supports the ordering process with team onboard and team onshore
- Communicates with log on shore to settle procurement plan
- Identifies, organizes and follows-up the maintenance of equipment for survivors and more generally of the deck installation
- Participates in crowd management: Safety and security, management of survivor’s accommodation spaces, management of food and NFI distribution, management of disembarkation
- Supports the preparation of the port call: reception and storage of orders onboard (food, NFI, water and sanitation stocks), organization of the containers, cleaning of the material
- Supports the SAR team on deck preparation and management under the supervision of the SAR Team Leader
- Is available for technical support to the medical team for biomedical repairs and maintenance
- Is the focal point for maintenance and repairs of all deck installations, obtaining the support from competent SAR team members in coordination with the SAR Team Leader
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability when making decisions and prioritizing the use of resources available on board
Roles and responsibilities on shore
Under the supervision of the Logistics Coordinator, manages:
- Procurement of supplies for the ship and sometimes for the office: direct purchase, quotations,
- Storage of goods and equipment
- Storage strategy and buffer stocks
- IT equipment of the Operations Department
Assists and supports the Logistics Coordinator in:
- Elaborating and improving supply strategy of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Structuring the logistics department
- Elaborating and enforcing procedures and processes for the logistics department
- Supporting the Logistics Coordinator in any task deemed necessary
Performs other duties as assigned.