Working and reporting relationships: Reports to the SAR Coordinator of the rotation necessary information for proper and smooth decision making and safety management.
In close collaboration with the direction of operation on shore to support decision making and relevant information sharing.
Works with shore managers for specific matters concerning the relevant departments (SAR, Maritime, Medical, Logistics, HR, Comms, Advocacy) in collaboration with the SAR Coordinator
Reporting to Job Holder: No direct supervision on board the ship – the Deputy SAR Coordinator (Deputy SARCo) could support, as required, the SARCo in disseminating information to the team on board and step in as a manager if needed on board
Overall Purpose: Working as a member of a diverse team who are committed to humanitarian and maritime search and rescue in the central Mediterranean, the Deputy Search and Rescue Coordinator (Dep SARCo) is in charge of supporting the operation of SOS MEDITERRANEE on board.
Major Duties and Responsibilities – On Board
– Collecting, centralising, archiving and communicating evidence about all activities and observations of the ship.
- Maintains evidence recording material (VTap, manual audio recorders, backup microphones, CCTV camera).
- Logs all the activities, observations and SAR-related communications of the ship in a very detailed timeline and share it with the relevant people.
- Coordinates collection of bridge watch observations, ensure they are all included in the timeline and in the logbook if relevant, requests additional information on observations from SAR Team members or OOW.
- Gathers, treats, organises and archives all evidence.
- Ensures proper back-up of all information.
– Supporting the SARCO
- SAR-related communications to maritime authorities: prepares the draft email for the SARCo according to the situation/phase
- Prepares the Maritime Incident Report (MIR) draft
- Ensures the maintenance of the AIS roaming station
- Feeds the communication officer and journalists with factual details about the operations from the timeline
- Monitors bridge activity while the SARCo is engaged in a phone call/VHF communication and is ready to substitute for him/her
- Is in charge of liaising with the rest of the team on the ship when necessary and upon request by SARCo, including for the dispatch of SITREPs
- Could participate to testimonies, interviews and/or signature of press release and other communication to the general opinion onto the situation on the ship, within the communication lines of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Supports and helps the SARCo to coordinate, supervise, SOS MEDITERRANEE teams on board.
- Is a representative of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s identity, values and objectives at all time and ensures that people under her/his responsibility do the same.
- Ensures that all teams have received the necessary information to perform their duties.
- Supports the SARCo in managing the team dynamics on individual and group level. Supports the SARCo in resolving any conflicts.
- Provides support in participating and consolidation the debriefing process on board.
– Procedures, tactics and strategy
- Participates in the drafting, updates and evolution of SOS MEDITERRANEE Operational strategy in collaboration with the SARCo. Supports the SARCo in monitoring and analysing of the SAR context.
- Participates in developing, simplifying, and streamlining overall SAR framework/processes, to ensure operational sustainability (short, mid, and long term) with the end objective of clean efficient rescue in collaboration with the SARCo.
- Proposes continuous improvement of existing framework/processes/procedures or tactics in collaboration with the SARCo.
- Ensures that equipment set-up adheres to SOS standards and advises relevant people on shore and on board of major modifications needed in collaboration with the SARCo.
- Ensures respect of the procedures and processes as established at institutional level in collaboration with the SARCo.
- Supports the SARCo in the drafting, design and update of the SOPs related to the interaction with other actors including but not limited to: the Libyan Coast Guard (and other maritime Libyan actors), the relevant RCC, the other SAR NGOs, the port authorities, and ensures such SOPs are implemented.
– Internal coordination and Reporting
- Supports the SARCo in consolidating a report of the rotation with all relevant information for SOS MEDITERRANEE.
- Organises hand-over with the next Deputy SAR Coordinator.
- Debriefs systematically all rotations with the onshore team.
- Liaises with onshore team to provide an overview and a first analysis of the collected data.
– Maintenance of equipment and arrangements
- Oversees the state of all project equipment and arrangements, other than those under the responsibility of the Tech (RHIBs and auxiliaries).
- Is focal point on board for Planned Maintenance System (PMS). Liaises with concerned people/departments on board and on shore to organise the maintenance jobs.
- Monitors and updates the maintenance admin tools (SeaHub, joblist,ecc)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Understands and is committed to the vision, mission and values of SOS MEDITERRANEE.
- Is a mindful representative of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s identity, values and objectives at all times and ensures that people under responsibility do the same.
- Respects and observes SOS MEDITERRANEE’s communication positioning and guidelines.
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times.
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of employees and SOS MEDITERRANEE.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description.